Book The Movers
You can choose to have movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies and ask for complete references. They’re also available to unpack once you’re in your new home. If you need a storage unit contact a local one to see if they have any availability during the time of your move.
If You Own Your Present Home
Arrange to have your gas, water and hydro meters read on the day you leave. Contact your internet & tv provider in advance to notify them of the upcoming move. Disconnect your internet & cable. Remember to bring pvr boxes, cables & remotes with you to your next house. Start a “day of” box to have the essentials on hand this will make things much easier.
If You Rent Your Present Home
Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for a final walk-through & the return of any money you have on your damage/ pet deposit.
At Your New Home
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, internet and cable to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Email friends & family to let them know the change of address
- Have Canada Post forward your mail to your new address, this can easily be done online
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques
- Inform your bank, CRA, newspapers, magazines and other home services of the move
- Arrange for service at your new address
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records
- Change the address on your driver’s licence(s) effective the day of the move
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage (e.g. dry cleaning)
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets
- Pack a box that includes all the essentials & important things such as internet modems, pvr boxes & cables
- Start a cleaning box with your go-to cleaning supplies, micro-fibre cloths, garbage bags, mops, etc.
- Make arrangements with your realtor for where keys should be left
- Leave out manuals, warranties & touch up paint colours for the new homeowners
All information displayed is believed to be accurate, but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. No warranties or representations of any kind are made with respect to the accuracy of such information. Not intended to solicit properties currently listed for sale.The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA.REALTOR® contact information provided to facilitate inquiries from consumers interested in Real Estate services. Please do not contact the website owner with unsolicited commercial offers.